Let me just say that I am not a good pill taker. But about 4 years ago my nutritionist put me on a regimen of pharmaceutical grade supplements based on some nutritional deficiencies she identified in my profile.
Why I take Supplements
1. While I try to eat a well balanced and nutritional diet, the fact of the matter is that is not always the case especially when we are traveling.
2. It seems I am always on a diet to counteract the weight gain I usually incur while traveling. A protein supplement helps to provide extra protein that may be missing from my diet as a result.
3. As I have gotten older, insomnia has become a chronic problem for me. I take a Magnesium supplement to help me stay asleep longer.
4. I am pretty physically active and workout 5-6 days a week. I take amino acid supplements to increase my energy levels during training and help reduce post-workout muscle soreness.
5. During my last bone scan test, my doctor said I have the bones of a 16 year old. Glad to know I have still have something like a teenager. This is a result of the Calcium and Vitamin D supplements I take.
Here is an inventory of the specific supplements I take and what they are for.
It is a comprehensive, fructose-free, low-allergy–potential dietary supplement designed to support gastrointestinal function, balanced detoxification, and a normal, healthy response to inflammation which I get from time to time.
Is a proprietary multivitamin/mineral blend that supports improved nutrient intake and provides Antioxidants.
Is a comprehensive dietary supplement that supports healthy bones, cartilage, and ligaments with Calcium and Vitamin D.
Is a phytochemical obtained from turmeric and a patented black pepper extract. Turmeric is believed to be an effective supplement to combat inflammation.
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body. Apparently, many people to not have enough magnesium in their bodies. It participates in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth; the metabolism of carbohydrates, blood glucose, fats, and proteins and for those suffering from insomnia will help you stay asleep longer.
If you would like to improve your overall health and do not feel you are getting the maximum nutrition from your diet, I encourage you to consult a nutritionist about the supplements that are right for you,